Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Don't Come Hungry

You know the phrase "your eyes are bigger than your stomach"? This especially applies to my kids. Tonight after their dance class I was feeling particularly not motivated to cook. This is pretty common for me. I just use lack of thawed groceries, lack of time, busy schedules, etc. as convenient excuses to not turn on my oven or burners. Nothing makes me more pissed than when I spend 3o minutes to an hour preparing a meal, my kids bitch about 90% of what's on their plate and don't eat it, my husband inhales his whole meal in 5.3 minutes, and I am left to clean up all the bullshit mess left behind. Where is the enjoyment in that? Do you see my logic? Screw making dinner.

My girls were hungry. I really wanted Panera, I'm a fan of many of their soups and salads. No go with the Picky Posse. Son of a bitch. Do you know what they wanted. Boston Fricking Market. Oh joy. Thanksgiving in a fast food format. That's hot. They both love their mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. Sophie quickly told the woman serving her that the small dish would most certainly NOT be enough for her. So my starving, haven't been fed in 2 whole hours children ordered a shitload smorgasbord of side dishes. Who needs chicken? It's not Boston CHICKEN anymore so why bother with that bullshit? I precariously balanced the overflowing tray as I shuffled to our table. Fast forward 8 minutes and about 3-4 bites of mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and green beans later. Forget the cornbread and big ol' slices of pumpkin pie. They were stuffed. So now I am stuck with several containers of fatty side dishes in my fridge. Coagulated macaroni in a florescent orange goo. Greasy garlic green beans coated with oily goodness. Two slices of mediocre pumpkin pie with soggy cardboard crust, mutilated beyond recognition by plastic sporks. But I am saving it all just in case someone is craving some bad Thanksgiving leftovers. I think I will go to Panera BY MYSELF for lunch today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you please make me some of your yummy chicken enchiladas????!!!!! Love, Jamie

Anonymous said...

Jamie, I hear you! This girl CAN cook when she wants to. And not just cherry chip cake.
Dianne